Sunday, January 10, 2016

Sparkly dresses

I purchased a sparkly purse last Sunday at TJMaxx for under $20. It's a little clutch to use at "the wedding". At Christmas my sister Cindy jolted me into the reality that I couldn't be dragging my large leather Dooney and Bourke shoulder bag along wearing a MOG dress. To translate Mother of the Groom.

Holy smokes - I've got to get a fancy schmancy dress for this formal occasion. It's not like I haven't worn a dress in years. Okay it's been a couple now. But I wear them to other people's weddings. But this one is special and demands a special dress! Gulp.

The last time I graced that section of a dress store was shopping for prom dresses for Amy - her junior year. By her senior year, she was over it and just got a dress online. For her stint as homecoming queen candidate, she borrowed beautiful gowns instead of buying - saving additional trips to Stacy's and David's Bridal. Phew!

Now I'm faced with the hunt for the dress. Long or not? Um - with my legs...those lumpy knees. (Thanks a lot Mom) it will likely be long, at least over the knee. That would also help solve the show problem - flats! I will need some way to cover my shoulders, so a jacket would be good, but I don't want to look like Jud's grandma either! Then there is my last of a bust...so there may be some alterations involved.
Some of the selections tried on so far...

Yes, I know - I won't be the center of attention at this grant event. But I want to look good, you know? Wish me luck as I venture out to begin trying on dresses. Those dressing room lights are very unforgiving. I hope to bring my bestie Deb in for support soon. I already checked out Von Mauer but there are many other places to go. Or not - maybe I'll get lucky quickly!
Smart Wool socks didn't look great with this one..

The good news? Wedding plans (April 23) are going well! Jud and Kara are very organized and have done a great job at dotting all those important i's. It's going to be a fairly small affair with mainly family (which is large on both sides) and their friends. It will be here before we know it. I need a dress!

No comments: