Monday, June 1, 2015

Roid non-rage

Guess what these are? You're right...I've been visiting the doctor's office again. I'm a sucker for these models. Brains, ladyparts, sinuses. I like 'em all. Cuz they're plastic - not real guts!

This time I was visiting a new endocrinologist. You may recall that when I found out that my thyroid was wacky, I didn't wish to wait for the Des Moines group of doctors at Iowa Diabetes and Endocrinology Center (IDEC) to get around to phoning me for an appointment. They seemed to be way to busy for little old me - who was in the midst of angst and anxiety, the result of not knowing what was wrong with me and my illness.

So I was referred by my nurse practitioner, Sheryl Young ARNP, to an Endocrinologist at University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics. Despite the fact that I'm a big Cyclone fan, they nicely got me in for an appointment fairly quickly. While I was on the way to Iowa City, IDEC finally called me to make an appointment. Right.

Dr. Doelle got me on the right track. We kept in contact using the secure online system. I needed periodic blood tests and that was a bit of a hassle for both his staff and me though. So I decided it was time to switch to a local doc. Thus the visit to Dr. Vanitha Singaram last week. She was nice and seems very thorough and plans to run a test to make sure that I have the Graves antibody, important as I go forward with this illness.

I'm down to 1 pill every other day. We'll see how that goes - aiming for remission. I hope the thyroid cooperates. Mine is shaped pretty normal - like the one on the left BTW. Don't look for me to get a butterfly tattoo like some people on the Graves Facebook page...

1 comment:

Mary MG said...

Glad you're being proactive and getting things figured out.