Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Making a statement

I thought of my Grandpa, Wallace Orville Bullock - Bubba-  tonight while watching American Pickers. The boys, Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz, made a stop at a place where there were a bunch of VW "bones". Volkswagens - including the classic Bugs. Bubba loved VWs.
Bubba

Mike said people purchased Volkswagons to make a statement. Yep, that was Bubba. His nickname for me was Yogi. I was his favorite grandchild. (I'm sure each of his seven grandkids could make a case...).
similar to Bub's first VW

Bubba was a unique guy. He was a successful salesman. When he retired he took up oil painting - lessons in Omaha. He did well at that and won local awards. In his spare time, he would take us for rides in his VW Bug. He smoked a pipe. I remember each VW he had, including the last one - a Rabbit. The tan one had a really difficult parking break to disengage. My Aunt Jeanie and I had to use both our thumbs to get 'er done!

In the early 1970's, Bubba went to Omaha and came home with a new model - light blue, all the bells and whistles. With a Bug, that means it had an engine! Those things were bare bones man. I should know - I benefitted in the mid-70's. I got to drive that sweet thing while my grandparents, Momo and Bubba were in St. Petersburg, Florida for the winter. The motor in the rear end of the car helped me make it up the hill to the High School. My HS homies loved riding around in the Love Bug - scooping the loop! It was a cool ride.
A car very similar to Bubba's Love Bug
  I'd love a chance to talk to Bub now - all growed up as I am. It would be an interesting visit.

No comments: