Sunday, June 7, 2015

June bugs

When I worked at the Union County Landfill, I was privileged to see so many different types of insects. NOT. I hate bugs. Recent visits to landfill facilities for environmental management system audits have reminded me of that fact.

One year at the landfill I directed, there was a particularly robust "hatch" of June bugs. They were attracted to the nightlight and swarmed there - especially near the drive through for the household hazardous waste facility. I didn't like the noise made when people would drive over them - all those tiny bug screams. No not really - but they did make an icky crunchy noise.

So I would use the large shop broom and the hose to clear them out of the drive. But no! They were like zombie bugs - marching towards me. I'd dream about them. I'm glad I don't work in the wilderness any longer. I hate bugs.
Team Thor - DNR Audit Team with Carroll landfill in the background

It's a busy time of year at work! We are making site visits around the state each week - across the northwest to the southeast corners. Despite arachnids and insects, I quite enjoy visiting the landfill, recycling and household hazardous waste facilities. The employees there are doing such good work - above and beyond mere trash and recycling. They are working on clean water and are reducing energy usage too. This week I'm off to Fort Madison.

Paul and I have been getting out more too now that the weather has warmed up. Monday we rode our bikes to Saints - yay the trail is open under the Interstate! Thursday we attended Teambuilding at the Locust Street Tap - finally opened again after being condemned.
Paul - building the team at the Locust Street Tap

Jud and Kara arrived from St. Louis in Friday. A sorority sister of Kara was getting married the next day. We took Jud to the Farmer's Market for a breakfast burrito - courtesy of Prescott folks. It's practically a suburb of his hometown, Creston. Later that night we went to a movie and the kids attended the wedding near that pumpkin farm by the Interstate west of DSM. Jud ran into a High School classmate. They partied at a bar in West Glen later and ran into most of the ISU men's basketball team.
Paul and I  had a nice bike ride early this morning. I saved a tiny turtle from the wheels of some unsuspecting bicyclist. I spotted him - he'd floated out with mulch during the hard rain in the storm the night before. Paul placed him gently back into the mulch.
 
After a big breakfast, Kara and Jud headed home. We're glad we get to see them again when we head to their place in a few weeks. I heard from Amy today - she's on her way to New York City with bf Corey who will be working there this week. Amy will hang out and work too. They'll squeeze in some tourist stuff too. These kids are hard to keep up with!

No comments: