Monday, March 16, 2015

Not there just for the Barbecue...

What a weekend! I didn't think we could top last year...but this year's Big 12 Tournament was just as good. The games were even more exciting....hard on this old gal! Cyclone fans can thank me for those victories - I found the secret.

Jane, Barb & me
Ask anyone. I'm very superstitious. I watched the first game on the big screen at the Power and Light with my buddies Jane and Barb. The Cyclones struggled the whole game. Scoring was a struggle. The girls and I sat on a wall and became uncomfortable. We were losing! Finally, down 10 points with 4 minutes left, I needed a change. I hit the public restroom - tipping the cheery attendant on my way out.

That did the trick! We were only down 6 when I came out. So I didn't want to return to my "unlucky" spot and jinx us. So I stood by random Cyclone fan strangers as our team proceeded to make 2 3-pointers and tie the game as time dwindled. Texas had the ball but failed to score and we had it with 5 seconds left. I paced in the back - not looking. I knew we won somehow, someway by the crowd noise. Monte had hit a shot as time ran out. Cyclones win by 2! There were several thousand Cyclone fans in the house - all going crazy. I ran to my former spot to hug Jane! Break out Sweet Caroline - the crowd sang along enthusiastically.

A while later Paul, Jud, Kara and my little buddy all growed up Michael Hyde showed up. Michael's gf Erin was there too. How fun is that?!?
Kara, Jud, Michael, Erin

Steve and Jud
Then we ended up at a brew pub for some grub. Our nephew Steve Fox from San Diego looked us up. He was with his buddy from their hometown of Webster City. Our waiter delivered free cinnamon whiskey shots - just because the bottle was nearly empty! It was fun chatting with Steve and Tom - reliving the game.



The next day Jud, Paul and I went with Kara on a tour she had scoped out online. It was of a coffee biz - the Roasterie, in downtown KC. It was started by a Denison, Iowa native and ISU guy. They did a video about how he got interested in coffee and how the beans are selected. It smelled delish there! The beans are roasted in an air system that is like air popping corn.

Then we were off to Joe's Barbecue. So very yummy. It was only an hour wait. Jud bought - can't beat that! I was glad to get a nap in prior to the pep rally. I stopped by the restroom to tip my friend the attendant for good luck. Anything I can do to help the Cyclones!
We saw Dwight and Marilyn Conover at the Pep Rally - wonder how D got those beads?
The Oklahoma game was quite exciting - sitting in the "cheap seats" with my boys. It was another come from behind win. We bonded with the folks around our seats. We all experienced a group sigh of relief when Ryan Spengler of Oklahoma missed a layup that would have tied up the game as time ran out. Jud and Kara partied late into the night at the Power and Light. Paul and I passed on that mob scene - opting for a quiet drink at the motel.
coloring

Saturday a.m. we met the Goldsmiths at the Urban Table near Overland Park. Paul's brother Ken, wife Mary and their daughter Katie Lee with 3 kids. Katie's husband Albert was participating in a run that morning. It was really nice to see them all - such a cute fam! I enjoy seeing their periodic pics on Facebook.

Paul and I got a little shopping in after that. No KC trip is complete without visiting Cabela's. I scored Merrill sandals there. On to Legends Outlet Mall where we ran into the Groth family - Nancy, Kenton and their daughters Karisa and Karlie - with husband Jason Hyde. Plus all the cherubs! It was Karisa's oldest daughter's 10th birthday. I remember when Amy didn't want to turn 10....already lamenting how fast life was spinning by!

We lunched at a Chipotle with Jud and Kara later outside the Power and Light later. ISU Coach Hoiberg's fam lined up behind us - just regular folk. I must say ISU does it right - best band of the four we saw. And our pep rally kicked Kansas butt!
Pre-Kansas game. Fired up!
 I tipped the restroom lady on my way to the arena. The first half of the game was gut wrenching for Jud and me. We were down 17 just after halftime. Ugh! The guy with the "lucky" hair didn't return to his seat - because we began to do better while he stood and watched the game on TV up above. When the game ended - Cyclones win by 4! We watched the cutting of the nets. It was great fun. Our team hasn't won enough for it to be "old hat".

We stopped by the Marriott where the team was staying and mixed with fans there. We ran into our lucky hair friend. He and his ISU grad wife are from Toledo, Ohio. He gave her this trip for Christmas. He's grown to love Cyclone fans so much - and has adopted ISU as his team too. We need more fans like him!

This was an expensive weekend $10 beer - but spending time like this with my family. Priceless.




No comments: