Sunday, December 28, 2014

Puzzle time


It's become a Christmas tradition for the Lefebvres and Goldsmiths to do a puzzle on Christmas Day after the gifts have been opened. Last year we'd purchased a cheesy puzzle of Marco Island -way back in April. We left Cindy to finish it and she reported that it was missing a few pieces. She said she couldn't blame the damn cats though, since a few pieces from some other puzzle were inserted. Cheap!

This year I nearly forgot to buy a puzzle! Paul and I purchased it on Monday while doing some last minute shopping in Denver at an outlet mall. No missing pieces this year - it was a nice 1,000 piece puzzle.

Puzzle time was my favorite part of our Christmas trip. At one point Cindy and I were working on it and the kids and Paul were "resting", sitting in the living room nearby. Cindy and I were singing and laughing - driving the others bonkers I'm sure. We entertained ourselves though. It was a relaxing time - even Cindy took time out from cleaning up after the big Christmas Eve "sing-a-long" wingding at her house.

I don't know about you...but I find Christmas very stressful - and I don't even cook or entertain at home! There is such pressure for perfection, amongst the angst of loss. This is a time of year that many of us most miss our loved ones who have died. I think about Christmases gone by. What fun we had when I was a child - the excitement of the belief of the man in the red suit! That's what gets me through the super early build up of the season - knowing that the kids of today are amped up like I was.

I loved seeing our family. We arrived at our daughter Amy's place on Sunday afternoon - kind of a surprise as we'd failed to let her know we decided to drive out a day early. Hello Amy! She took us to hang out with her friends - fun! She and her girlies sang karaoke.

Feeling some Christmas spirit here...
I'm sorry I didn't get a photo of me with my Aunt Marty and cousin Amy. Doh! We stayed with Marty in Centennial, near my cousin's place. My cousin Amy Brownlee so kindly invited the fam over for chili - 2 kinds plus cornbread!

Niece Jordan and her girlfriend Jill were there, along with Brownlee's delightful children Matt and Kate. We got a brief glimpse of the new pup - a 6 month old yellow lab. It was great to see my cousin Richard too. Note: Post Christmas, All of the Lamm fam is in Mexico right now including the San Fran clan - my cousin David and his wife Lisa and 2 kids. Of course Aunt Marty is playing up the Matriarch thing! Hope they have a great time - I think Richard was making them all dress in their Broncos gear today...
Jordan, Jill, Amy
On Tuesday we were off to the mountains. There was a bit of snow to contend with once we got vertical.



Edwards
That night we ate Mexican with my sis Cindo. My endocrine gland and her eyeballs have been acting up and we were glad to see each other. Damn health problems! Good thing the things we have aren't life threatening. Phew! Next up for her - cataract surgery in early 2015. We drank margaritas. Jud and Kara arrived from St. Louis via the airport and rental car that evening. Yay - our gang was all there!

On the 24th, Jud, Kara, Amy and Paul all went skiing. Cindo and I ran errands. I took time later to shop in Edwards at my fave bookstore. That afternoon we attended a candlelight service and sang Carols.

Colby's GF Liv made the gorgeous cookies
The singing just warmed us up for what was to come....the Lefebvre party!
Fam photo 2014 - Amy, Jud, Kara, Paul
Liv, Colby, Cindy

We got out the music books that Bolder's mom sent him back in the 80's when they started these parties.
even Jud donned a grass skirt this year!

The party was a success! As much as it ever can be without the main attraction - Bolder. We sure miss that guy.

Christmas Day was nice - opening gifts at Cindy's place, eating little quiches and a new addition - Duffy Rolls from Denver. Uncle Bill introduced us to them - yummy. I received some cool and thoughtful gifts. Just right. Still...not as exciting as receiving a Johnny West or Secret Sam gun with a message shooter though...

Eric carves
We worked on the jigsaw puzzle noted above and it was very relaxing. The Goldsmith attended the movie, "Wild" - it is really good. Later we went to Pottorff's for Christmas din din. It was awesome as usual. Good food and friends. It was a great way to end our trip.


It's all over but the crowns - prizes after a fab meal
It was a snowy drive out. We ended up staying in North Platte on Friday night as the snow flew. We were glad to get home to snowless DSM. Especially Odie who found the tall snow in Vail daunting. My fam rocks!





No comments: