Thursday, December 18, 2014

Derby Dance School of Psychotherapy

I took another water class at the Healthy Living YMCA this week. I do my best reminiscing in water. Go figure!

It was a type of yoga/stretch/dance class. While I was in an aqua ballet position, the song "It's a Beautiful Morning" came on the boom box the instructor, Yvette, had set up. It reminded me of a time I danced to that song in a leotard with a whole host of others. Prior to the dance recital performance I had trained under the gracious tutelage of Janice Derby who ran a successful dance school in my hometown of Atlantic, Iowa.

I don't recall exactly why I signed up to be in dance in around eighth grade - ninth grade(?) I suppose it was because my friends decided to dance. And just like lemmings had they jumped off a cliff, I would have done so too. I signed up for ballet and tumbling along with my friends Robyn, Sherry and Theresa. I'm sure there were others but the 'ol memory machine can't bring them forth. During this time, sister Betsy also took lessons. There's a lovely picture of the two of us in our recital costumes posing - alas I can't find it. I wonder if Betso has something to do with that.

What I do remember is the classes. Janice Derby was a good listening ear, and my friends and I were full of teen angst. Some of our sessions ended up full of drama as one person or another (Sherry Smith) explained to Jan what the current goings-on were. I was more of an "onlooker" to the drama, but definitely was there. Who said what to whom and how high.
Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress
The big excitement was the annual Dance Recital. I only made it through one. Our group had two numbers. "It's a Beautiful Morning" and the tumbling routine was to the theme from Mission Impossible, where we wore a black leotard with a pink sequin belt and mask - hooha! Whenever I hear those songs I feel like breaking into those dances. I only know the beginning steps.

Of course the real star at the dance recital was older (a whole year) - someone who had been dancing for years - Pat Riggs. She did a solo dance to Witchy Woman. (I might have made song name up but it seems right...she was a graceful dancer, that girl.)
As I completed my water class Wednesday, I thought too of my friend Theresa who is no longer with us. What a kind soul she was - and I feel I didn't really get a chance to know her. Because I was such a kid when I was around her - and she was just there. I took her for granted like I did all my friends back then.

Today I know better. I cherish my friends and am not afraid to admit it. I don't have Janice Derby in my life as a therapist - but those friends - they do pretty well!

No comments: