Sunday, August 11, 2013

My brain is okay, I think...(after 3 days of headaches)

Pablo and I did the Iowa State Fair Thursday night. You see, I'll be working there the next two afternoon/evenings - so I knew I'd get my fix. But Paul - pretends not to like going. But I could tell he secretly was dying to go! He'd say things like, "I suppose you're going to force me to go to the Fair." Which wasn't the case at all...but I pretended, but so he could save face...When you've been married 31 years, you catch on to this stuff.

We rode the shuttle from the Capitol, which is slick! No worrying about where to park. We were both hungry so we headed towards the cattle barns, where we knew the beef sannies would be good. I wasn't disappointed! We trotted around after that just taking in sights and sounds. I forget that he doesn't know his way around like I do - just from my years working there. I was busy scoping it out - trying to decide what I'll it on my subsequent visits! We walked through the Varied Industries Building and talked to Mark Sedlmayer in the DNR building. Paul worked up an appetite to eat something on a stick (a state fair requirement!)
lemonade and chicken on a stick

I later talked him into riding the Skyglider - it was such fun - gliding over the fair with my honeybun. Blue Oyster Cult was playing at the Bud Stage - FREE. We rant into his workmates and hung out with them for a while. Then I talked him into hitting the 4-H building to see the projects - memories of my Glad Girls of Grove days...one year I made my Aunt Jean's recipe, buttermilk chocolate cake. Dang that was good! I was really in 4-H so I could show my horse, but suffered through the other stuff like cooking and record-keeping for the cause.

The woodworking projects were awesome - furniture like tables and desks made by teens! They sew outfits, do educational posters and more. I always come away impressed. After that we were both ready to head home.
An enterprising lad welded an painted the giant friggin' trike with a motor...why?
Friday morning, I awakened knowing the damn headache was gone - kaput! Its 3-day run was over. Phew! I'm always glad to say sayonara to a multi-day brain burner. I had to take some Advil to take the edge off, but that did the trick. I worked Friday morning and ran errands that afternoon. We spent a quiet Friday night - the Packers had a pre-season game, don'tcha know. I was happy reading a new book.

Saturday I headed to my usual haunt - the Farmer's Market downtown to meet a friend, Pam. She works in Paul's office and we've hung out a few times. (gee it sounds like we're dating...) Pam lost her husband a couple years ago to a heart attack. Pam is clawing her way back into life one step at a time - I admire her so much for it!

We walked through the market - checking out the merchandise. Pam hadn't been there for several years and was surprised at how big it's grown. I got a breakfast burrito and another of the workers asked me if I was from Creston and attended Holy Spirit there. It's nice to be recognized. Pam waited and scored a blueberry scone at another booth. There was a steel drum band we sat and listened to later, and she headed to the YMCA about 9 for a class - yep, she's an exercise fanatic like my pal Deb. If only I loved working out like I love books (and writing this blog...).

I had brought my bike downtown with my so I rode north on the trail past the Botanical Center (that is in the middle of getting a multi million $ facelift) on the John Pat Dorrian Trail. I didn't go too far though - even though my iPod was nice, it was a little lonely all by myself. I did get some cool shots of the city riding back south.
DSM looking south from the trail near Botanical Gardens
It was a beautiful morning! I headed home and got some deck time to read my book and drink iced coffee. Odie enjoyed barking at passersby. This is the life!

No comments: