Friday, August 23, 2013

Another week flies by

If this is how time flies by when I'm 55...I'm not sure what it will be like at 80!?! Maybe at some point it slows down again.

In a way, I like it that way. It makes me feel alive to be on this pace. Some of my Facebook friends tell me "you are busy all the time!" That's not really true. I just don't post pics of myself doing nothing! "I loved that cool photo of you changing the sheets on your bed!", said nobody ever. (Though I did just learn how to do the sheet corners the proper way from Diana McKim).

I walked down to Jimmy John's in the East Village at lunch one day, and through Governor's Plaza on my way back to the Wallace Building only to discover a whole new Holocaust Memorial. How have I not noticed it before now?
New memorial
 
I need to go back when I have more time to read it, and the light is better.

On Thursday I participated in an Environmental Management System audit at Metro Waste Authority's (MWA) landfill in Mitchellville - east of Des Moines. Our audit team talks to their staff to make sure the staff there is covering all the bases of EMS. MWA does some cool things.
Audit team members and staff looks at a leachate evaporator
Sara points out highlights of the constructed wetland at MWA
Later on Thursday, Paul and I attended the NRCS (his work) teambuilding meeting - a post-work, elbow-bending session at Embassy Suites. The restaurant there is closed, so we sat outside in the comfy chairs. I've been to enough sessions I'm actually getting to know some of the people.

We headed up the street to the Locust Street Tap on our way back to the car. I'm always fascinated by the artwork and decorations at the place. I drank water and took photos and chatted with Paul and Gillespie, a Creston High School grad who works for the Department of Agriculture. Paul's had some fun fishing and hunting with Jim.
Franken Berry!
Paul's work friends
 
I think my sis has been here...
The bar -Barbies on top
School started in the Des Moines area this week, and of course the weather is sizzling hot now. I don't know what the rush is to start school in August - and then get out so early in the spring. I don't know how many years it took for me to quit feeling like I should head back to school myself! And then for years it was "Back to School" time for Amy and Jud. Amy was always so fired up - she loved putting her name on each and every item (and Jud's name on his stuff too!).

I enjoy seeing all the pics on Facebook of the "off to school" kids - whether it be to pre-school, grade school, high school or college. I can understand the tears - by parents and students! I wasn't usually one of the parents who cried though. I was more excited for the kids - for the milestones they were reaching, than for the losses and changes I was undergoing. And my kids are still reaching them today. I miss them - but am proud and happy that they're doing fine without me!

No comments: