Sunday, November 11, 2018

Language of Love

Bundled with my baby

Paul and I attended a Marc Cohn concert Thursday - he of "Walking in Memphis" fame. He is a singer-songwriter whose songs tell stories - about his family, career and what else - love. One love song, "Perfect Love" is about his brother and wife who have been married for over fifty years. Marc says his brother tells him the song should be entitled something more like "Enduring Love" - because no love is perfect - especially love in marriage. True dat.
Marc Cohn Temple of Performing Arts
pre-concert martini

It may be hard for newlyweds to believe, but that giddy romantic love doesn't last. Not for 36 years anyway. It takes perseverance and some laughter. My honey and I had that this past week....he's been bowhunting. It's that time of year - when I usually start feeling a little cranky. It's my birthday dammit, and he spends days at a time in a tree. I don't mind alone time - but it can get old.

So last Friday I got a "take and bake" HyVee pizza that we ate after he rolled in from his tree down in southern Iowa. I ate a couple pieces sitting my comfy chair. When I went to put my plate in the dishwasher, I saw a black thing on the floor by my ottoman. Hmmm - sock fuzz? I picked it up and immediately recoiled - flinging it to the ground - it was squishy and warm. Worm! I appealed to Paul to save me. He picked it up - putting it right up to his face. Olive - he declared. We had a good laughed! He wished he would have popped it into his mouth.

On Sunday I was getting ready for a nice warm bath when I noticed a bug in my happy place - my tub. "Bug in the Tub", I yelled. Paul appeared in the blink of an eye. "Backrub?" he inquired (that's what he thought he heard), always hopeful, he. I pointed to the offending critter. The perks of marriage - bug removal. Yes, I'm a bug wimp.

What does the Internet think of you? Judging from the advertisements I see when I'm online, it's got me pegged as someone who really needs old lady slippers, pee proof underwear. I've tried to click on the slippers to get rid of the ad that hounds me on the New York Times. Even if I wanted slippers, now that they are trolling me, I refuse to consider Mahabis brand. Ever. And I'm not in need of pee proof undies - unless my girls make me belly laugh with a full bladder (bladder weakness courtesy of 2 9 pounder babies I believe).
huddled in the trailer - pregame

Yesterday's ISU game was one of the coldest I've attended. Big shout out to our fave tailgater host/engineer Kevin. He rigged up the generator to 2 heaters and we sat inside the small trailer eating soup, drinking beer. I suited up in ski pants and many layers with HotHands, toe warmers. Ugly but functional. Still, I shivered. Clones are now bowl eligible! This team just keeps winning. After the game we sat in the trailer again. McKims and Ehreckes are just fun to hang with. We laugh so hard - mostly at ourselves (but I didn't need the pee panties). Phew! Paul and I are off to visit our pal Paula Bacon in Austin for the Texas game next weekend. WooHoo. Hope there are no bugs there. 

Robyn sent me this pic on my bday. Friends for going on 58 years. We were adorable. Wonder who cut our bangs? Mom always put me in cute dresses for parties.


No comments: