Sunday, August 19, 2018

LOTO Jammin'

It was the last of my summer excursions - but one I look forward to every year. We got invited once again to Lake of the Ozarks (LOTO). Paul and I feel so fortunate that we have friends in low (on the map) places.

This year we added one more couple to the mix as Bobbie and Jeff purchased a lake place. We looked at this house with them one year ago. Wow. The beautiful lake home we visited this weekend didn't resemble the ramshackle, not updated for years, filled with knickknacks place we saw in 2017. The McFees have put in some work (mostly Bobbie). Walls have been reconfigured so it's pretty much a whole new place inside the shell. It has 3 full baths and 4 bedrooms, with an open kitchen and all new appliances. Okay, all new everything. Plus they replaced the old rickety deck with a new larger one.

Paul and I did get in on the "fix up" fun. Nothing too taxing for me of course. I was on paint patrol - dabbing those darn missed spots one finds after painting. Paul and Jeff installed knobs and a barn door in the master bath (Joanna Gaines has nothing on Bobbie). Joanie McFee, my former roomie, and Jeff's sis was there. Yay!

I miss Joan. She let me live with her for around 4 years Monday through Thursday as I commuted from Creston to my new job in the big city. Her Waukee home housed many roomies through the years. I shared space with Bobbie and Jeff's nieces Kristina and Kim over the years. It was fun getting to know them better (as adults, not as tiny playmates for our kids). Now that I don't see Joan weekly, I miss her!

At the new lake place, Joan was in charge of painting around the deck door while Bobbie cleaned up the downstairs living room. Bobbie and Jeff are considering renting the place once it's ready for prime time. Check out the view.
view at Bobbie and Jeff's

 On Friday when we arrived at LOTO, we had a great lunch complete with sweet corn. Then we hung out on the boat dock until the McKim party (Don, Diana, and their college pal Wally) picked us up in the party pontoon. I always love cruising on this big lake where you can go for so many miles checking out the beautiful homes and boats. Until you stop at a bar.

We went to Fish and Company first. It was a lovely day to hang out with friends with beverages at a bar on the lake. We listened to Dale Blue a solo performer who is part owner of the joint. He's great at involving the crowd. That afternoon, there was a big group of young women dancing and joining him on stage.
love the photo bombers
Then, at one point they cleared out. He looked at me and said, "Hey visor girl, bring your friends up here on the stage." It was Sweet Home Alabama. I started with a tambourine - but after glancing at the chick to my right with the fake guitar, I knew I had to take action. She didn't know how to fake play it AT ALL. I gave her "the look" and she turned it over to me. She wasn't guitar material. I rocked it! My first and last guitar gig.

Later, we danced. "Survey said, drinks up!" We always have fun at LOTO bars.

At our next stop, we were joined by more buddies. Sharon and Al along with Rita and Jim (more McKim college pals). The gang was here! We got some snacks and drinks and caught up with each other. I miss these people! We got to ride back to Bobbie and Jeff's in a boat in the dark. Cap'n Al at the wheel. So cool.

Saturday we sat on that nice new deck for coffee and breakfast. Then we did that bit of work for our keep. The rest of the afternoon involved hanging out on the dock.
Birthday boy - second from left with his lovely wife and college pals

That night was the big birthday party for Jim at McKims. The same cast of characters plus Lucy Eckhoff. and Bob Snodgrass. Cake and balloons were delivered at 6:30 p.m. Jim was surprised and delighted (I think). Even more than the cake, the birthday boy liked the electric bug zapper on the deck. We all have sore ribs today from laughing at Wally's comedic gigs involving a possum and a trash can and swimming noodles. The guy should quit his day job and do stand-up. We sat on McKim's deck until midnight. Another great day with friends - in the books.
view from McKim's deck at night

Today we drove home fairly early. Joan rode with us. The trip takes just over 5 hours with few stops - so we took advantage by catching up even more on Crestonites and her fam and friends. Weekends like this one - priceless!





 







 

No comments: