Sunday, August 12, 2018

Goldsmith Bond is Golden

Another week, another family gathering. This time it was the "other side" - the Goldsmiths. And there was no wedding. Each year the Goldsmiths gather early in August. We used to get together around Thanksgiving until we figured out that we would prefer getting together when it's nice out in the midwest. We ain't no dummies!

Many of the Gsmiths headed to Dyersville on Thursday night for a rousing golf game Friday. We didn't arrive until Friday after working in the a.m., saving my dwindling vacation hours. Paul and I did get in on a tour of the Becker Woodcarving Museum - just north of town. Jack Becker was a classmate of Carol and her dear friend Roger. Jack's son Jude talks about the museum here: video.
Jack Becker's Workshop
The museum is on their organic farm, just north of town. They raise hogs there. My favorite parts of visiting the museum were Jack's workshop and being outdoors at a farm. It was peaceful there - except for those porkers. They can be a little loud. I understand their product is shipped all over the world.
Mary & Ken

Loved being on the farm

Jack's wife told me he was always drawing as a child, and he sketched his designs before carving them. The best ones are displayed in churches in the area. He was taken early by a terrible arthritis type illness.
my beloved Gsmiths
With significant others 
That night we gathered at Roger's Dyersville home. All eight remaining Goldsmith siblings were there. We miss Connie, who passed in 2007 after battling breast cancer. It was a fun night of catching up and discussion. I used my commanding Pat Bullock voice to get everyone into position for photos. Roger's neighbor kindly took a group shot that Carol has yet to share. Hint Hint! We stayed the night and had breakfast with Jean & Dave and Denny and Kelli. Our time together was brief, but we're glad everyone was able to meet. We heart them! Some year we're including the kids and grandkids. I'm thinking 2020.

On the way home, Paul and I drove through Earlville, Paul's hometown. The folks and Connie are buried there. I can't help but think how proud they'd be.



No comments: