Sunday, March 25, 2018

Next Gen, Cake, Creston Loving Arms

I've been sifting through generations of stuff at our home. Thinking about what the next gen might want. We've been hauling around Bullock/Morehead stuff for 30+ years now. Add in all of our own stuff. I don't want to stick our children with all that. Sure we have a nice big place now, but what happens when we downsize again?

HGTV has made an impact on furniture "hand-me-downs". Suddenly (okay over a period of 60 years), the Ethan Allen cupboards my parents and grandparents handed down to me are looking outdated. They have served our family well, but I don't see them moving to the next gen. End tables, inherited from my parents, are looking beat up. Wear and tear have caught up with them. It's time to move on. And what about all those knick-knacks? Our children may want a few, but some may need to go as well.

I cleaned out the kitchen area last week. I knew there were some containers and items I hadn't used since we moved to Des Moines five-plus years ago. I must admit failure when it came to a few key items pictured below. In the end, I put these back in the cupboard. Amy and Jud could score big someday!
30 year-old blender, snazzy ice bucket
The angel food cake pan above was never on the chopping block. I took a photo of it to send to our family. It was a walk down memory lane that had started when we traveled to Jud and Kara's just after Paul's 60th birthday. They had asked what Paul's favorite dessert is, and I replied angel food.

Jud took on that challenge - despite the fact that he and Kara do not have a cool cake pan like the one above. If you've ever made an angel food from a box, you might have noted that there is an alternative recipe for loaf pans. Our loving son related the story of how he attempted to halve the recipe, dumping some of the cake mix on the floor in the process. Clean up on aisle Goldsmith. I'm sure the dogs helped! Then he must have undercooked it a bit (these cakes are tricky). And you must prop them up upside down so they don't collapse. Oops. Still, I'm so proud that he cared enough to make his dad's fave treat.
The birthday boy with Jud and Kara

Kara and Jud rescued the cake with lots of whipped cream, strawberries and love. They served it that night after taking us out to a yummy steakhouse. That night we talked about the cake pan and memories of cake baking. Paul usually baked those cakes - many times for of our angel Patrick George's birthday. Amy would draw birthday cards (early artist in action). Paul loves eating the crusty angel food top hot out of the oven - a great memory from his own childhood as well. It was a wonderful family evening. That pan is priceless.

Speaking of family, a big shout out to the SW Iowa towns of Creston and Corning. Tragedy struck when the Sharp family lives were cut short. On vacation in Mexico, an unknown gas killed the family of four in their condominium. This is unimaginable.

I've spent the weekend trying to come terms with it. It seems impossible. I am not a close friend of the family. Kevin grew up across the street from our first house in Creston. I met Amy when I worked at the landfill and she worked at the courthouse. Still, they are part of the Creston family. In a small town, this is how one feels. They should still be there. This story should be about a family I've never heard of from somewhere else. It hurts. When it is someone you don't know it is worrisome, but it doesn't hurt like this.

Family takes care of each other. Already the Adams County Speedway held an event honoring the family. Kevin was a racer there - in Corning, the town next to Creston. More events are scheduled to surround the families with love. Individuals and families will step up and deliver meals, hugs memorial money, prayers and thoughts. That is why we raised our children in this area. I trust that the loving arms of the communities will do what can be done. Such a loss. Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

No comments: