Saturday, December 16, 2017

Head Smack and Deep Thoughts


I admit it. I'm becoming even stranger as I age. I should have planned ahead like the guy I read about recently in the New York Times. He started making a list of things he wasn't going to do when he aged. He was age 50 at the time (now he's 60), and he was observing his own parents. Some of the things were:

  • Driving too long - his mother had been in several fender-benders
  • Refusing medical assistance - such as a walker after a fall
  • Upkeep of the house
There was more, but I'm old, and I can't remember what I read....I can remember my own mother verbalizing similar thoughts about her mother and my dad's folks. She swore she'd happily accept Meals On Wheels when the time came. Of course, she passed away at age 68, so we never got to experience her obstinacy at such milestones. And thank goodness for Kay Harris who helped make sure Dad didn't drive. I'd better start making my list now, so my own kids don't have as much to deal with.  

Anyway, back to me. I'm already weird. I don't move into new things quickly. My behavior is more like a feral cat, where I must observe, and gradually accept that it's okay before moving in. So keep that in mind kids. When you put me into the "home", let me warm up to it. 

I joined a new gym a few weeks ago, Prairie Life Fitness. So far I really like it as it's laid back and not overly crowded. I have walked on the track while scoping out the pool to see just when lanes are available. I dislike sharing lanes. Those of you who have known me since childhood know I've enjoyed swimming all my life. I am the reigning 40-yard 13/14-year-old breaststroke record-holder at Sunnyside Pool. (Last I checked - which was in the 1970's).  

Finally, on Friday I was ready to take the plunge. One other swimmer was in the eight-lane pool when I finally figured out there was no entrance directly from the Women's Locker Room. The door into the pool also flummoxed me. See how hard it is for me? Did I mention that I dislike asking for help? Yes, it's a weakness. A nice lady did notice my perplexed look and explained the door directions. See, that wasn't so bad Leslie. 

The water was just the right temp, and I paddled away for a half hour or so. During one stretch of backstroke, I started to drift (mentally not in the water), thinking about Net Neutrality and its possible effect on rural Iowa. Bam, my head smacked the end of the pool. Lucky they have a plastic edge, much kinder than concrete. Course correction. No deep thoughts whilst swimming. 

Ultimately, I do recognize that I am not the same person that I once was. I can be a weird introvert at times, which makes it difficult to do new things. I feel good about conquering the pool yesterday! As Arnold said in Terminator, "I'll be back!". 



No comments: