Thursday, October 13, 2016

Amy's Birthday

Tomorrow marks 31 years since I became a mommy, a role I was both terrified and excited to take on. Yes, it's Amy Goldsmith's birthday! Happy Birthday to our baby girl.
Ginger and giant glasses mommy

She was the kid who made us wait a whole extra week past her due date for her arrival. (Due 10/7, arrived 10/14). Those were seven long days. Let's just say I wasn't a pleasant person to be around. I wanted that baby out of me! She had her own ideas. She still does. We are so proud to be her parents.

Parents sometimes think their kids should be little "mini-me" people. Just like us but smaller. But they aren't. I was amazed to watch our children grow up to be themselves. I can see some of Paul and me in them. Is that narcissistic? Okay it is. I bet neither Jud nor Amy calls the TV remote the "TV button" anymore. They've broken away from our spell.

Amy is an artist - a graphic designer. She wanted to be an artist since she was little. It's always been difficult for Paul and me to understand. That isn't our language. But when your child loves something positive, you grow to love it too. She is also many other things, including a business owner and accountant thanks to running her own biz. When I looked into that little face 31 years ago I didn't foresee all of those things. But I imagined the possibilities. And now they are here!

It's been a year of many events and accomplishments for our daughter.
  • She moved with Corey Park from Atlanta to Pennsylvania
  • Amy researched the possible places to live and selected the burg of West Chester, just outside of Philadelphia
  • She was a bridesmaid in Jud and Kara's wedding in April
  • Her boyfriend Corey asked her to marry him while they were on a trip to Denver, surrounded by friends
  • She said yes!
  • Amy and Corey traveled to Croatia on vacation
  • They began planning a wedding
  • She said yes to the dress
Thirty one years ago I wasn't thinking that Amy would some day find a partner. I didn't ponder the fun I'd have wedding dress shopping with my baby girl. I remember looking into my daughter's eyes and feeling the type of love I'd never imagined before. The "I'd give my life for you" kind of love. I was lucky enough to feel it again two more times with Judson and Patrick.

I'm looking forward to the year to come. It's going to be some year!







No comments: