Sunday, September 4, 2016

It's my dad's birthday

Dad's been gone almost ten years already, but I think of him often. He was in lady's underwear. That was one of his jokes. Dad was a sales representative for Lorraine Lingerie, selling that line including slips and panties, across Iowa for nearly his whole working career. That meant he traveled Monday through Friday almost every week of the year, leaving Mom to the daily drudge of raising four girls.

When we were young we were always excited to see Daddy on Friday! He was a fun and funny guy. He pitched in by grilling for supper. I have fond memories of Dad with the big wood meat platter trotting out to the grill outside the back door. In the winter, we had a fireplace downstairs where dad would ply his grillmaster trade. I even remember eating down there with Bitsy Betsy in a little baby chair and a bottle.

That downstairs grilling must be why the charcoal lighter was kept by the fireplace. I drank some on New Year's Eve one year. My antics ruined Susi's chances to stay over night with a cool friend. (it was all really a plot by 4 year old me). I got my stomach pumped, I'm told. I was a poster child for child-proof packaging!

Dad liked to play with words and names. We had several nicknames. He relied on actresses, flowers and everyday items
All of our names with "O" on the end. Suso, Cindo, Leslo, Betso
Swoozey, Soocee
Forsythia
Looseleaf, Lulu
Betso Bean, Lizzie Borden

I'll have to rely on my sisters to help me remember more of them. He kept them coming. Funny, I don't remember him having any nicknames for Mom. Unless it was Dammit, Pat.

Dad had many friends in life. He collected them. None were better than his longtime Atlantic pals that he grew up with. And those others, like our friends from Creston, that he then really grew up with (age 30 on...)

That's not to say he was universally loved by all. He could be a bit of a pill - especially as he grew older. He used binoculars from his townhome on the Back 9 holes of the Atlantic Golf and Country Club to make sure nobody was playing shirtless (men) as that was against the rules. Yep, he was one of those. A sometimes fun-hater. He also felt the need to comment on people's body types - like how side their asses were. The sad thing is, sometimes I feel myself turning into that whistle-blower rules person. It's my former lifeguard and Dave B. coming out in me!

My aunties, Dad's sisters, tell good stories about my dad. A few years ago Marty sent me a CD she made when she interviewed Dad about his memories from childhood. It was done before his stroke, so his voice is so strong and vital! I need to find it and listen again.

Dad loved to have fun. He was a good tickler. I would sit on his lap while we watched TV and he would tickle my arms and back and say a cold wind was coming - giving me goose bumps! He'd also torture us with those mean big brother like things that hurt a bit like cranking your finger or "snake bite". He rode on the roller coaster at Worlds of Fun with me - wild man. Dad always found parking spots in the front row even before he cheated by having a Handicapped Sticker. Even now when Paul and I find that lucky spot we say "Dave Bullock".

Dogs loved my father. He was a pushover - they knew he was a dropper. He'd sneak them little bites of steak (grilled by him) during the meal. Odie would climb right up his lap, causing him to recline in his barcalounger, and lick his face. He'd just laugh! Our full-sized wiener dog Jud (yes, I named my son after my dog - who was named after my father David Judson) would rub up against Dad's chair and Dad would twist his ears, making him "Yipe". All of us girls would yell "Dad stop hurting him!" and he'd say "He likes it!".

Dad worked hard all week, traveling throughout Iowa to small stores and large. On Sundays he could often be found digging through samples hanging on racks downstairs. He'd load up his car - he'd buy a Buick every year, putting 60,000 miles on it. Then he'd trade it off with his pal Dandy Don Deter and get a new one. Later in life, his taste turned to Cadillac. He tried one Lincoln - it was a huge boat and we teased him that he was docking the boat every time he parked.

Dad was a snazzy dresser. In my mind he's wearing plaid pants, a white belt and loafers, a golf shirt and cotton sweater. He wore suits when he worked. The shirts were done by Albertson's Cleaners in Atlantic and they'd bring them by the house. They'd ring the doorbell, and since like most houses in town, the front door was open. They'd walk in and hang the shirts up in the closet in the front hall.

Dad would be 88 if he were alive today. I miss him. Happy Birthday Daddy!

Check out the wallpaper! And my cute haircut. Mom and Dad so snazzy.



No comments: