Friday, September 9, 2016

Bull Creek

Up Bull Creek without a paddle?

I've blogged before about my idyllic 60's childhood. It wasn't perfect, but in my "Wayback Machine" mind, it was pretty good. We Bullock girls and friends wandered the south edge of Atlantic on foot and on two wheels, investigating it all. No need to worry about property lines, barbed wire fences or culverts.

During work this week I had reason to search the Atlantic, Iowa (hometown) website. On it I saw references to a Bull Creek Culvert. Ah, the memories! There was a culvert at the bottom of the hill by my elementary school so scary cool. It was dark and cool, with just enough water in it to get my shoes wet. There were bugs in there - and an occasional frog!

Above my pal Robyn's house before they built the church, there was a barbed wire fence and a pond. The challenge of crossing that fence was huge! Challenge accepted! You had to step by a post, where the wire was more stable. I imagine we ended up with lots of bug bites, a few scrapes and very dirty. But oh the fun we had. Can you imagine a stinky crew of kids marching in for Kool Aid and Hydrox cookies?

Nostalgic much? Yes I am.
At my Cedar Rapids Grandparents' home around age 7

No comments: