Sunday, August 28, 2016

Another year of wedded bliss

Our children have gone through the process of getting engaged and Jud is now married to Kara (yay!). Amy is planning a wedding! She and Corey will be married next August.
It's a lot of fun and it's made me think more about who I was when I went through that process - that culminated 34 years ago today. Yes, it's our Wedding Anniversary! 8/28/82.
Biking 2016

Weddings are a lot more complex today than they were in the early 80's. Of course my mother planned much of mine, so that helped. She was good at that stuff! I didn't have to find a venue. We got married in Atlantic, so the venue was the Catholic Church at 2 p.m. - as late as you could have a wedding at our church. Paul has a large family and all them were there, along with lots of aunts and uncles. Right after the ceremony there must have been a short break, because I went to the hospital to visit my grandpa, Bubba, in the Atlantic Hospital. Some of the group must have gone to the celebrated White Rose, a beer only bar on Highway 6 that was open only until 9 p.m.

I had my 3 college roomies stand up with me along with sister Betso. Paul had buddies from college. Our Best Man, Mike Huston borrowed a full sized van from my parent's friends the Clitheros and filled it with stuffed animals like a raccoon and a duck for our ride around town after we tied the knot! They even had a duck call cassette playing!

There was an early reception at the Atlantic Golf and Country Club, which was still in all its glory at that time. It makes me sad that today the Country Club doesn't have a kitchen staff, because they don't have enough business. We had many nice family meals in that dining room - with Choral (sp?) serving the hash browns extra crispy just how Dad like them.

Mom picked the menu for the Country Club reception, and Paul and I approved. She even helped decorate. After the formal reception for everyone, there was a smaller reception for out of towners at our home at 202 Crombie where friends of my family served roast beef sannies with all the sides. It turned into a cool August evening and I eventually put on jeans and Mom's golf sweatshirt. So that's what I had on when Paul and I checked into the hotel - with him in a white tuxedo. It looked like I ran away with the groom!

And all these years later I still feel pretty lucky running away with that groom. Relationships are fluid. We certainly are not the same sweet kids that got married 34 years ago. For fifteen years in Creston Paul and I served in a ministry working with engaged couples getting married in the Catholic Church. That was one thing we always stressed - you're picking the person you will go through good times and bad with. I pick him!
Our honeymoon Victoria, Canada





No comments: