Thursday, February 11, 2016

Toto Too

I'm just back from the not so Sunshiney State of Florida where I met my homegirls. I had the unfortunate luck of being first to fly home. I felt like the Wizard of Oz when I hugged each of my friends on the curb by American Airlines - ready to bestow gifts like a heart and a brain. Pam could use a new foot, after all. Thinking back now, I know that it was I who received gifts from each of those fabulous ladies.
  • Pam is so wonderful at talking about anything that comes to mind. She's funny and self-deprecating, putting everyone totally at ease with discussing health, finance, love.
  • Paula exudes competence and is so casual and fun to hang out with. I love how organized she is and we like to talk Big 12 sports.
  • We all love dogs but Sally is our pet rescue girl. She's so intelligent and caring. I love the stories she tells about co-workers or her grand-nephew.
  • Julia is such a quiet and calm person among a loud group. I can't imagine her ever snapping and throwing Christmas cookie dough against a wall (who might have done that??) She brings a unique perspective that I much appreciate.
  • And then there's Robyn. She's the one who sneaks off and orders a round of desserts to be delivered to your table, making you feel special (and satisfied!). Robyn makes a point to tell people what she appreciates about them. There are so many things to love about Robyn.  
The weather wasn't that great during the time we were in Florida. Though it was warmer than Iowa, it was chilly, windy and rainy. Guess what? We still had fun because we were with each other. I could have fun in a cardboard box with these girls.
    You might remember that I just got together with most of these girls just last August in Oregon. Yep - we can't stay away from each other. Paula decided to use her timeshare in Robyn's hometown of Orlando. Rob's lived in Mickey's city for thirty years or so. I've not been there since the kids were twelve and nine - so it must have been 1998. Wow - how it's grown into a sprawling city. Much bigger than the Magic Kingdom.

We bunked in a large condo with three bedrooms and three bathrooms. The clubhouse was gorgeous, featuring a pool on the top floor. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate. It was chilly! But not as cold as it is here in Iowa. There were other pools - and even a lazy river on the campus. It would have been hard to enjoy it wearing long undies.


at the game
We shopped on Park Place - in Winter Park. Then we visited Robyn house and met her beautiful puppy Oliver. Her bungalow was adorable. That night, we got to attend a professional basketball game as Robyn got us great tickets to the Orlando Magic/LA Clippers game. She has connections (Mickey Mouse - no, not really), so they were great seats. It was really fun.

On Saturday we shopped at an area that had antiques and cute little stores. That was where Robyn went to town on buying dessert. Red Velvet and chocolate - how could you go wrong! That night we stayed in and played Cards Against Humanity. Robyn kicked butt. We had fun chatting and laughing the whole night as we celebrated our dear friend Julia's birthday.
All too soon it was Sunday and time to leave. My balloon flew off - back to Iowa. Man I'm tired of winter, but my time with my pals helps.

No comments: