Monday, February 15, 2016

Cool casseroles

I've written about my recent visit with my fab hometown friends. You may also have seen me write of my beloved Aunt Marty, who lives in Denver. I was thinking about all these wonderful ladies lately.

Marty lives in a really nice retirement community called Holly Creek which has many of the usual amenities like a weight room, a pool along with a nice restaurants and party rooms. It also has something unusual - a radio station.

My Aunt Marty is a radio personality. Link to TV story. She interviews people who live in Holly Creek, asking them about their lives. When we stayed with her just before Christmas she was able to relate to us a couple of the residents' rich journeys. Marty also has a memory like an elephant - she never forgets. I bet the people of Holly Creek enjoy telling their stories to Marty and the other radio personalities and the folks living in the communities like hearing each others' stories.

When I was with my friends in Florida, as we hung out together, we talked a bit about our own lives. Some of us lost track of each other for some time, during our twenties and thirties. We're still catching up with each other on what we missed - happy times and sad, scary and brave. I wish we would have stayed in touch back then - so we could have supported each other as we do now, but that was then. My friends are such interesting people with rich, full lives, just like the ones at Marty's retirement community - less 25 years experience. Think how cool we'll be at that age!

My mom was great at making casseroles. She'd add various ingredients, chicken - noodles or rice, a few spices and the next thing you knew, it was a delectable meal, hot and filling. People are like casseroles, I decided on my lunchtime walk today. The casserole is good that first day - but let it sit for a while. The ingredients really mix and the spices start shining through. I guess I was hungry when I came up with the analogy but you get the picture.

Young people are beautiful and interesting - full of potential. Someday they will be lovely leftovers like me.

No comments: