Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Fair Time

Last week I worked 46 hours from Sunday through Wednesday hording vacation time to spend with my girls. I worked the first Sunday of the fair, then Monday and Tuesday. And this is what I ate:
  • Corndog (token on a stick thing) with lemonade shakeup
  • Dutch Letter
  • Chocolate Chip cookies from the Pella Bakery - they were stuffed with a brownie like material (1 each day)
  • Walking Taco
  • Pulled turkey sandwich
  • Pulled pork sandwich
I took my own tea each day - saving $ on that. By the last day, I was ready to be done with fair food.

On Sunday, my first day at the fair, I walked all over checking out the stuff I like to see. The 4-H exhibits, the giant pig and bull. Horses, big and small. The Ag and Varied Industries Buildings. One poor guy fashioned his own violin out of wood only to receive a white ribbon. I gave it a blue for effort!
Muralist - working on a fair mural Sunday
beautiful leather rigging for horses

I love the people watching! And interacting with them in the DNR environmental trailer that I work in. This year I told the kids coming through the trailer that they needed to fill me in on what they learned in the trailer to earn a fabulous prize - either a little tape measure or a lime green backpack. They got a mood pencil free. Most of the children enjoyed the prize challenge. They would go check out the light bulbs - incandescent, CFL or LED -which is the most efficient? Or they could watch a short video or read information on the wall.

I'd quiz them - "What can you do at your house to save energy?" If they were stumped we'd talk about turning off lights or shutting off the water when they brush their teeth. It takes a lot of energy to make clean water! I'd ask what kinds of things they recycle at their house. I enjoyed it! My last day to work at the fair, it rained and I was ready to be done by 9 p.m. when my shift ended.

No - not stained glass - windows made from water bottles gleaned from an event I helped with near our home
When I got home from the fair that last night, I packed for my trip to Oregon the next day. Yay!

No comments: