Sunday, July 5, 2020

40th Anniversary - but not ours



Me with Paul
Paul in his girl glasses - so cute! 

It's not what you think - though Paul and I are coming up on our 38th in a few weeks. This July 4, 2020, was the 40th anniversary of a very important Independence Day in my life. It was the start of a tradition that cemented friendships that began with young students at Iowa State University. And thanks, in part, to that 4th of July 40 years ago, many of those friendships have stood the test of time. Who would have imagined one trip to the Apple River could do all that? And, perhaps help me fall a little bit more in love with my honey.  
Paul with Joyce - rainy year
Paul with Joyce - rainy year

I doubt our host Mike Huston and his parents Clark and Joyce ever considered that one invitation would stretch into 15+ years of young people and later families traipsing to their place. Over the course of those years, many of us married and became parents - bringing another generation to the joys of Ridgeland. Happy memories.  

That first year, 1980, I was living and working in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. For the trip, I met my fellow travelers, who were coming from the south, in Albert Lea, MN - right along I-35 just past the Iowa border. We started drinking beer along the way and somebody (not me) threw up before we even before our appointed destination - a tiny town in NW Wisconsin. A key attraction for the invitee was that it was not far from the Apple River - a place one could rent an inner tube and float while drinking massive amounts of beer. As I write this blog, Paul, lifting weights and in a fog of memories, just put our old Alabama LP on the turntable. I remember singing "Dixieland Delight" driving up to Ridgeland that first time. It was our anthem. 

In 1980, Mike didn't just invite a couple friends to his parents' rural escape. He asked around 20! He must have caught his parents at a weak time. What were they thinking? Besides Mike they have four other children - so heck, the more the merrier? C'mon up to a place with no running water and a two-seater outhouse. Bring a sleeping bag. Hustons set up a giant tent that slept lot of people. I swear it had several rooms. 

What a time we had - partying at the bars in the cozy burg of Ridgeland. The Flying Dutchman was one - a typical local bar, cold beer, and their Friday night fish fry was awesome. You couldn't beat the beer prices. When we left, we got some ice and Leinenkugels to go. We needed some for the river float and for the bonfire.

You can still tube the Apple River today. Check out - Rivers Edge. I'm sure it's fun - but nothing like the non-regulated crazy times we had in the early 1980's. Get this - there was no recycling then. Even then I just knew something wasn't right with that.
Vic, Jane and Les
Vic, Jane and Les - around 1981
 
The Apple Rive had a system to toss empty cans towards giant targets along the river, hoping they'd fall into the containers below. One year my pal Jane swears she drank the same beer the whole ride - because she kept dunking it in the water. Ick! Talk about recycling....Anyway - people were winging beercans through the air and you always had to be ready. We lashed tubes together with twine, floating happily while we enjoyed each others' company. What sunscreen? (me then) Now - I need shade! 

That first year we had great weather and had our fill of beer by the end of the river. Nobody prepared us (Paul - who is not really a swimmer) for the rapids (small ones) at the end. Surprise! He flipped his tube and lost his glasses. Can you say blind man walking? And I sliced my ankle on something. Beer can? I'm lucky I didn't get Tetanus, but the cut likely got washed out by an alcohol swirlie. Paul was fortunate that Mike's sis Lori had similar glasses and wore contacts so he was able to wear hers until he could get new glasses. 😏 He looked adorable in those chunky 80's frames! 

It wasn't like we needed more alcohol, but in between the river and Ridgeland, there was a tiny bar called Theresa's that we'd stop at. It was filled with locals who'd look at us like - "what are you doing here?" when we'd walk in. Later, when we had kids, we were sure to take them there. We always played that classic bar song. "F'ing Jerk. Get on My Nerves" They had a PG version with whistles and beeps for kids. I wish we could have purchased "My First Dive Bar" t-shirts for our children. So proud! It's trips like going to Ridgeland that helped us raise our children with Vic and Fred's and Moose and Kay's kids - making them kinda like cousins. Shared memories. 

Tubing was fun, but my favorite part of staying at the Huston Ridgeland place was hanging out with Clark and Joyce sitting around the campfire. Their whole family was so nice - Mike was the oldest on down - Jeff, Lori, Kris and Karla - the youngest at about 11 when we first started going. Looking back, Clark and Joyce were only in their 40's when we started going to Ridgeland. Wow - so young! They were great role models - active younger having fun with their kids.  

Clark had lived in the Ridgeland house with his dad Russell when he was growing up. We were fortunate enough to meet Russell those first couple of years we visited. He and I shared a birthday so he remembered me each year. Around the campfire we'd tell Lena and Ollie jokes, become Turtles (One Red Hen), tell ghost stories, and just chat. Most of us were in our first real job, so it was nice to hear about how others were coping. Mike and Tom were in various stages of Vet School. Some years we went even when Mike couldn't go. Vets have such tough hours! 

Clark and Joyce put on quite a spread of food each year. Breakfasts were awesome - the old house had electricity so they'd cook up pancakes and bacon. While we ate they'd have water heating over the campfire to do dishes in the sink. At night they'd grill. Everyone helped with chores. Of course, we'd make S'mores at night. Fred had a big stick that he'd use to stir the fire - each year he'd record the date. He still has it. 

At dark, we'd drag out the fireworks my dad supplied each year from his trip through Missouri on my folks' trip home from Florida. One year Hauser supplied Moose and himself with hardhats. We had Roman candles and tanks and even a helicopter. There was a firework battleship to put in the horse tank.
Amy's first Ridgeland
Amy in the antique playpen - baby behind bars! She never recovered. haha


That first year - 40 years ago - fresh from college - I was figuring out what I wanted in life. I felt fortunate to land a job - even if it was all the way over in Sioux Falls. I had dated Paul my senior year but wasn't sure if he was "the one". After graduation, we got to know each other better without the distractions of college life. He called, he visited, and even wrote me letters. Sigh! During those trips to Ridgeland and other short trips we took together, I began to understand what a kind and giving person he is. He had wonderful friends - a good sign too. My pals are pretty wonderful too. 
Kids at Ridgeland
Jud's First Ridgeland

Paul and I melded our two college friend groups together - seamlessly. Some of them were intertwined in that Iowa way - they knew each other before I knew him. The rest is history! Now that we are empty nesters it's easier to get together again and we are doing that. I was so proud when my kids could have their first Ridgeland bath. 
Jud in front of Huston barn
Jud in front of Huston barn


Yes, I'm being a sentimental old woman this pandemic 4th of July. Paul and I had a nice quiet day - kayaking early to beat the heat and crowd. As we paddled, I took a walk down memory lane and realized it was the 40th anniversary of our first Ridgeland Adventure. 

I texted our friend group - many of us just got together on a ski trip in CO just before the country shut down in March. Some of us had seen each other at an ISU football game last fall. After years of raising children and selflessness, it's been nice to have time to put ourselves first once again - just like those early Ridgeland years and get together for fun!  

I was a happy gal, sitting in my boat interacting with my pals - even sending pics. Heart full! We are blessed with fabulous friends. 


Amy marshmallow roast - Ridgeland
Amy roasts a marshmallow at Ridgeland

Guys - our Hawaiian year
Hawaiian year


No comments: