Saturday, March 21, 2020

Life's Rythyms

Old photo of our family - my heart


I was just getting used to my new "retired" normal. Ever-busy Paul is building furniture for our walk-in closet. He's only had a purchase a few new tools! He and I painted the closet this week and he put the shelves back up and we sorted through clothing as we re-stocked, weeding out stuff for donation. Suddenly I don't need as many work clothes. I'm doing a jigsaw puzzle and am beginning paperwork for a consulting business I plan to start - working with trash people of course.

Now, due to forces beyond your control, many are forced into life inside your living space. I can't imagine what you are going through - your "new normal". Some of our relatives and friends live in New York, Illinois, and California. Those states have even more strict rules about what they can and can't do. We in Iowa are "sheltering in place". Schools are closed. Bars and restaurants are closed to inside customers. Iowa received as many unemployment claims yesterday as they usually do in a bad month. Many people are now working from home for the first time. It's hard to isolate like that.


I'm stuck with this guy - my fave person

We're all coming up with a new normal. So far we don't know how long. If you are like me, you are still running everything through an "adjuster". When my eyes pop open on a new day, I am filled with gratitude. Then I begin to plot out my day - not remembering the Covid 19 normal. Then I adjust. Reality check!

As I said - as 2 retired people, this does not impact us nearly as much as those who have lost jobs, had to change their work method, small business owners trying to adjust to what this means to their livelihoods. I think about those who remain working on the front line - medical staffers to people working in places that need to remain open so all of us can live. We need our toilet paper!

There are special people - those who we cherish who may be more susceptible to this virus that I pray for. Our older (Aunt Marty says she's NOT elderly at age 87) friends and relatives. Some live in Independent and other types of care facilities that are being very careful about allowing personal access by friends and relatives. Smart! But very difficult at a time when we are fearful. The last thing we want is for these loved ones to be isolated and feel alone.

I've confessed before about my phone phobia. I don't know where it came from, but email and texting have allowed me to be even more of a phone introvert. Well, folks, Covid 19 is busting me out! I've resolved to talk to more people as we are all sidelined. I know, it's kinda selfish too. I'm pretending it's for them. Just wait - after this, I'll be one of those people with a Bluetooth earjack talking to people while I make my way through stores and on hikes! haha

Next - I'm going to try Facetime! I know - all you grandparents already know how to do that. Our kids' dogs haven't requested it. Does this mean I have to actually look decent? Ugh. I also have a couple meetings scheduled through Zoom - another video chat meeting. This virus will change us in permanent ways - I hope we'll find that some are good. Less travel, more technology will cut down travel. I know, in person can be best. But not always.

Last night we ordered delivery pizza from a local place. We'd plan to continue to support restaurants - as we want them to be around after this. Des Moines has always been a great place for local restaurants and we love that about our town. We have decided to increase our normal tips to help those workers get through this too. If you have any other ideas of ways you are helping small businesses get through this - feel free to chime in!

Call, text or check in on someone you know that you haven't spoken or texted for a while. As Mr. Rogers told us to look for the helpers. Even remotely, you can be a helper!


No comments: