Saturday, January 26, 2019

Carrying the Bags

We came together in Arizona - carrying our baggage. Beat up old bags and newer ones, Some were big and others small. We came together to help each other carry our baggage. Sharing the load makes all the difference, yes? Yes.

I first saw Robyn and Paula at the rental car depot in Phoenix, after leaving frigid Des Moines at 5:30 that morning before the Martin Luther King holiday. Thanks to all the TSA employees at the airports I flew through for cheerfully sending me on my way while working with no pay. I thanked them in person too.

We hopped into the rental van and took off to meet the rest of our gal pals for this year's rendezvous. We are a ragtag group of friends who reestablished our friendship that started in our hometown of Atlantic, Iowa. I like to brag about the fact that my friendship with Robyn and Paula has lasted 57 years or so - but there were some long breaks in there. I've known Watson, Julia, Sally, and Pam for much less time - only 45 to 50 years.

This group of us reconnected around ten years ago and a strong bond formed - even closer than our childhood friendship. We discovered at age 50 that we love each other and have very similar world views. We fill each others' buckets - and mostly we think we're funny.

Watson moved to the Phoenix area a couple years ago. Sal and Julia flew in on Thursday and stayed with her. The van girls had a mission before we met at a Mexican restaurant. To pick up a tall can of Pam - to represent our missing pal Pam who stayed home to support a loved one with health issues. Hugs all around as we joined together. Laughter filled the air around the outdoor table where we sat. (Meanwhile, snowy and cold in Iowa).

The trip south to our Oro Valley (near Tucson) condo took just over an hour. Watson had done a great job preparing for the trip - purchasing food, booze and she even made soup! We were set. That night we just hung out enjoying each other's company. That was when we started unpacking our bags.

These girls are my loves in a way I can't explain. Their friendship is a very safe place that boosts me. It picks me up when I'm down. If I'm having a bad day - I can start a text message with them and soon, I'm feeling better.

On Saturday after we arrived in AZ, we visited the Tohono Chul Garden. I didn't know there were so many types of cacti! One even shot a sticker ball out at Robyn. We enjoyed a lovely brunch at the bistro there. That night we visited Robyn's brother's place. Mike and Kathy Henningsen kindly invited us over for a drink. Mike's grandparents were friends with my grandparents. My dad was a pal of Tom Henningsen - who called Dad "Bullock" to the end. Mike and Kathy have a beautiful winter home to go with their summer place in Atlantic. Son Brad now runs Henningsen Construction. It was fun to catch up with them and talk about the old hometown.
View at Henningsen's home

On Sunday we traveled to downtown Tucson for the Women's March. It was a group decision to participate in this event. Why? Women are making progress - but there still is a long way to go to continue the work done by those who went before us. Paul and I attended the Ruth Bader Ginsberg based movie "On The Basis of Sex" Saturday night. It reminds me how far we've come.

It was a wonderful group of progressive people with interesting signs. I especially appreciated seeing the indigenous people of the area, some in their native clothing demonstrating a field hockey type game. It was a gorgeous day in the low 70's. We listened to speakers and walked together with many, circling city blocks. One water stop featured glass jelly jars instead of plastic. Yay!


We headed back towards the van - hitting the jackpot by finding an artisan area with a bar. Drinks and food were in order - along with a bit of shopping. It was game night - NFL playoffs. We stopped at the store to pick up supplies for the game watch - wings and stuff.

I'd been in contact with homies from my other hometown - Creston. Dwight and Marilyn Conover, now of Okoboji, who also winter in Oro Valley. I first met Dwight when I took a job as a bookkeeper at First National Bank in Creston. DC was the bank pres. I was the lowly lippy help. Marilyn aka Merle and I were in a women's sorority together and became friends. Later, we moved next door to the Conovers. They didn't keep us awake at night with loud music or anything! Dwight's work took them to NW Iowa so they eventually moved, but we still see them frequently at ISU events - mostly tailgating. I invited them over for a drink - our condo was a short drive from their home. My A-town friends were delighted to meet them, and besides, they know our pal Roger Underwood, who has served on ISU fundraising boards with Dwight.

Later that night we Facetimed Pammie, who couldn't be with us. I really missed that girl. She is one who I have really gotten to know better as an old lady than I did as a youngster. She's so open, fun, and funny. We celebrated renewal after a tough health year by a couple of us. And Watson's birthday.

A gift of infinity bracelets
French Silk! 
Then we played Left, Right, Center - an easy dice game that even I can play (no real skill is required). After, we sat around and chatted - dragging out some of our baggage and other things going on in our lives. Those are our gathering times I love the best. The support and unconditional love pours out and surrounds us. We laugh, we cry. We share personal care and health tips. Girlie stuff! Some of us sat in the hot tub overlooking the beautiful mountains. The blood moon wolf moon solar eclipse was just starting. I was tired - I had to see it via photo the next day. What a great day!
Marilyn, Watson and me

Marilyn had offered to take us on a hike to Honey Bee Canyon on Monday to hike to see petroglyphs. It was Robyn's first excursion test driving the new hip - walking in a sandy wash. We all made it! Got some good pics and a feeling of accomplishment.  Paula and I got a tour of the Conover home - Dwight says it a view with a home - the back window framing up the area mountains.

When we got back to the condo, the gang was starting to pack up as Sal had a Monday evening flight. It was a flurry of activity that involved packing up most of the food, bevs and their belongings. Jules and Rob were going too - leaving only Paula and me in the condo. Parting was hard - especially this year. We're tough old coots. Hmm, where to next year?

There was a snafu with the rental van keys. They disappeared. Oops. Paula stepped into biz mode and dispatched the van. We arranged for a shuttle to Phoenix. Thanks to Dwight and Merle for driving us to the pickup site. Nothing like old friends! Goodbye to Paula - it was fun to see her twice these past few months.

I kick myself for scheduling my flight through Detroit. What a dumbass. It was fall when I booked the ticket - and I was trying to coordinate with others. Still, bad plan. I ran through the Detroit airport and got to my seat just in time for the airport to be shut down due to ice. First for an hour, then for the night. I considered getting a hotel but just didn't want to spend $130 for a night of non-sleep. So I slept at the airport. The next morning my flight finally took off at 10:30 a.m. I do know how to stretch out a vacation! My honey picked me up.

Another bucket filling vacation was in the books. Time to put those bags away. Until next time.

No comments: