Friday, October 19, 2018

Big Vic and Baby's Birthday

Corey and Amy came all the way from Denver for the Iowa State University Cyclones vs. West Virginia football game. A Clemson grad, Corey is a bit spoiled as a fan. His team won the national championship two years ago - he was there! Our team...finally made a bowl game last year after a drought. Corey is a good sport about being a fan of our team. He's even got his wife somewhat interested in football - never her fave sport. 

They flew in Friday evening and we took them to the Cheese Bar on Ingersoll in DSM. It's a small joint that specializes in - you guessed it - cheese. We started with a lovely tray of meats and cheeses with nuts. I had a yummy specialty drink - and they have beer and wine on tap. We finished up splitting a grilled cheese sandwich and some ribs - not made of cheese. I saw some others eating fondue. You sit at long tables - so it's easy to spy on other's food. Din din was a success! 

The Cyclones didn't play until 6 PM on Saturday, but we had some tailgating to do - so we left just after noon. Amy and Corey had to go to Scheels and get some Cyclone gear first. It was a brisk day - nice in the sun, but we were glad Kari and Kevin put the side on the tent. Our tailgating neighbors provided entertainment - dressing in authentic Octoberfest lederhosen with hats, swigging beer from steins. Later they played musical chairs. Is that a German game? 

Paul grilled up burgers and brats. Amy and Corey got to see plenty of pals including Conovers and McKims. I'm glad they got to meet Ehreckes. Fireball shots sent us into the stadium for the game. Things didn't start out great. Our QB threw a pick and our kicker got a field goal try blocked for a touchdown. Despite those setbacks, our defense was marvelous. 

Corey didn't know why we weren't going crazy before halftime!?! We've seen this before - only to see our team fold. But no! The Clones came out strong after half, holding the Mountaineers to very few yard and points. In the end, the crowd rushed the field - celebrating a win over #6 West Virginia. 

Sunday was our baby girl's birthday! Wow. I've been a mommy for 33 years. I joked that Amy should come lay in bed with me so I could tell her the story of her birth - like I used to every year that we lived together. She loved that! It was a special day - overdue by a week. She was born a little after 7 PM, just after the Cardinals beat the Dodgers - Ozzie Smith homered. Yes, I had a labor plan with lovely music on cassette tapes I brought to the birthing suite. But...baseball....for my husband and doctor. It was distracting. 

Amy with Rachelle, Jenna - college? 
Making the phone calls to our parents (long distance ya know) was so joyful. She was beautiful and perfect! Just like she is today. Once the nurse wheeled me into my hospital room - and put her in the nursery, I thought I'd sleep. Nope. I was too pumped up. I was a MOM. And every part of me hurt like a little 9 lb 7-ounce truck had run over me. Even my fingernail hurt. We had a bundt cake at the football game - it was delicious. 

Amy attended a baby shower for her college pal Rachelle - due to have a baby boy in a few weeks. Later she and Corey spent the evening with friends. Paul and I recovered from Saturday. Being outside all day is exhausting! 

On Monday, Paul and I got to each lunch with Corey and Amy in the East Village. They worked at our house that day - before their flight that evening. We'll get to see them at Christmas - still it was hard to say goodbye. What a fun weekend of having them around. Special times. 

Amy's birthday - not this year



No comments: