Sunday, February 4, 2018

Super game?

I was raised on football. Today is Super Bowl day. I don't have a favorite but will pull for the underdog Eagles. Paul and I listened to the audiobook "Silver Linings Playbook" recently. You may have seen the movie the book was based on. The main character in the book is a huge Eagles fan, which encourages me to appreciate the team, its fans and the "Fly Eagles Fly" song.

I grew up watching football on TV and at the Trojan Bowl, where our school team played. Sure insert condom jokes if you want to. We Trojan fans are used to it! The Atlantic Trojans were good at football - especially in the 60's and 70's. In the 60's, our team featured the great Eddie Podolak, who went on to star for the Iowa Hawkeyes (I cheered for them too, once upon a time). Then he went on to play for the Kansas City Chiefs. He now does color for the Hawkeye football games - wearing his black and gold heart on his sleeve (tongue).

AHS teams seemed to always be at the top of the conference. Coaches sent players went on to college teams. Just this year, I read that our former A-town neighbor Tom Hayes is retiring as defensive coordinator at Kansas State University, after a long career as a player and coach. Football was in the Atlantic water. 
So proud of my football jersey

I don't have any brothers but was (am?) what used to be called a "tomboy".  I'm not sure that term is even proper anymore. I knew that beyond the backyard and Powder Puff variety, I'd never get to play the game in any real sense. That didn't stop me from asking for a football for my birthday. I'd punt it in my backyard and run and catch it! Behind Tyler's house, up the hill from Buck's, there was an open space where we used to put together neighborhood games. I liked being the wide receiver. Sue Tyler made a good QB. 

My family worshipped television. When I see homes where the TV isn't a main feature in the living room, I think, "whaaaat is this about?" Sure, an office or library without a television - makes perfect sense. But the room where one lives? No way. Our own home features a big TV, just how we like it.

I have fond memories of watching football with my family - including my grandparents Momo and Bubba. They too worshipped the TV god. We'd go to their place for "drinks". I remember watching the Dolphins vs. the Chiefs when Eddie played. The Fins came out on top of the longest NFL game ever played. My grandma, Momo loved the Viking's Fran Tarkenton and Roger Staubach of the Cowboys. Had a thing for the QBs, I guess. 

I don't know what the future of football is. Head injuries are a major concern. How can some players go through life not showing the trauma from head injuries, yet other are so damaged? More work needs to be done to change the game - or it may just fade away as parents quit funneling their boys into it. And Millennials paying for cable TV.

Meanwhile, I continue to be a fan. College football is my passion. And tailgating! I'm a winner at that - thanks to our Cyclone tailgating pals.

Go team! 


No comments: