Saturday, January 6, 2018

Lucky Boots

Have you ever had something start out bad and turn out to be lucky? That's the story of my lucky bowl game boots.
I was nervous I'd be walking in socks by the end of the day

Our trip to Memphis for the Liberty Bowl was such fun! Mother nature didn't cooperate the best - providing chilly weather for the 25K Cyclone fans decked out in cardinal and gold. Our friends Kevin and Kari picked us up about noon on Thursday for the seven-hour trip to Cape Girardeau, MO. The trip to Memphis was a short drive on Friday, with a brief jaunt through Arkansas.

At our hotel, we joined the McKims, who checked in the night before. We headed out to a Cyclone spirit session at the local minor league ballpark. The crowd wowed to the tune of 10,000 people. We do love our team. That afternoon we parked ourselves in a divey bar on the Beale Street parade route. Somebody should have sent Iowa's RAGBRAI committee into Memphis prior to the onslaught of Cyclone fans. That group knows how to get set up for a crowd! Memphis...not so much. Short on staff, certain beer, and toilet paper. Still, we made due! #cyclonescouts

That night we went into a crowded barbecue restaurant, Rendezvous, and were told there was a 45-minute wait. Our neighbors the Stofferahns had been there a while. We were prepared to drink beer and wait. But no, they called us in 5 minutes. Hmm, I didn't even know it yet, but the lucky boots were in action! The ribs were good, but I still choose Jethro's in DSM.

After the meal, we went back to famous Beale Street to an ISU basketball game watch. We met up with our fam. Jud and Kara were there along with our nephew Steve Fox and niece Barb and husband Mike Archer. It was great to see everyone and Kara snagged a pic. Somewhere George and Laura Goldsmith are proud that the fam grouped up!
Goldsmiths fam plus Jud and Kara's friend Jen
Saturday was game day baby! I had decided to pack my warm clothes because the forecast was chilly and I don't handle cold well. I even dug out my warm landfill era boots - Columbia Bugaboos. I was a little worried because they have a little age on them, but decided they'd do. WRONG. As I climbed out of the back of the SUV at the stadium, Kevin noticed the first cracks. Oops. But here is the magic:

  • Don and Paul each found a dollar on the ground that day
  • We seemed to have found a giant FREE parking lot - though we tried to find someone to pay. Thanks Tom O'Neill (sp) formerly of Creston for flagging us down there. 
  • While the line for the restroom at the tailgate/barbeque was long, the live music in the giant room was fabulous. Everything from Footloose to Brickhouse - and really, who needs light in a bathroom? I know where everything is...
  • My crumbling boots held together long enough to get seated in the stadium
  • My true, loyal and very well prepared friend Donnie went back to his SUV and got his roll of duct tape. Of course, he had one. Paul fixed my boots up after I inserted "hot feet" in each one. 
  • My feet were toasty the whole game, though I did look like a homeless person
  • Paul brought Hot Hands and when I shivered I even inserted one of the things into my waistband. Okay, the shivering might have been nerves. #toocloseforcomfort
  • I missed watching the last 3+ minutes of the game because I couldn't look. Yep, I'm one of those people who travels 450 miles not to watch a game. In the end it was all good though! Way to go BOOTS!
  • After the game, Donnie drove us right out of the parking lot - though I heard of others who had to wait an hour #magicalboottrip
  • Our Jack Trice football stadium friends from Carroll, Pam and Randy secured a table at the Rum Boogie Cafe on Beale Street. We got one nearby and listened to some excellent music that night - two different groups. The PBR was cold. Jud and Kara got to see football players at the place across the street and Kara even took a pic with our star receiver - even though I'd slipped out of the lucky boots earlier in the evening.
   



I'd like to go back to Memphis in quieter times - fun place! 

What a fun weekend with good friends and family. Would it be nice to play for a national championship? Sure. For now, we'll enjoy these baby steps. This year, the Liberty Bowl was damn fun. The ISU football season was full of more ups than downs - and I must say I've not often been able to say that. Without the ref errors, we'd have won 10 games. Haha - just messing with you. Hope to have a team that can overcome bad reffing better in the future. 

We've always enjoyed our time tailgating at Jack Trice Stadium. The people make it the best! This year the weather was more challenging than watching our team - rain and cold. Our young coach has brought new energy to the program. I'm looking forward to the 2018 season already!

I did leave the lucky boots in the hotel room....maybe the staff there needs the karma for 2018. I don't think our team does. Best wishes and good luck to your family in 2018. 
 


No comments: