Friday, May 5, 2017

Warm Blankets



My friend Shelly Codner posted recently that she was washing bedding and had a flashback of the days when she used to rush her "warm from the dryer" blankets to her kids to snuggle them as they watched television. .

Of course, I couldn't resist and posted something like, "Geez, my kids got cheated cuz I never did that...". Another mutual friend (smartass Scott, yet accurate) posted, "Probably explains why your kids moved out of state." Touche!

In my defense, in our first Creston home, the laundry room was buried in the back corner of the basement. To get there with loads of laundry, I had to maneuver over the baby gate, down a steep flight of carpeted stairs, through the narrow confines of the hot tub room (a whole 'nother story) and into the utility room. By the time i "rushed" warm blankets up, they would have been luke-warm at best...

Still, the thought never crossed my mind. Have I ever mentioned what a function-oriented person I am? That's why I have a hard time doing things that aren't part of the plan - like making the bed. Even  decorating for holidays is beyond me. Planning events with decorations and flowers? Ugh. I'm much better at meeting planning where nobody expects fancy food and beauty. I certainly appreciate that others have an eye and talent for those things. I love the results - just can't make it happen!

I'm planning a Leadership Training segment for a November meeting for a stakeholder group I work with and met with the presenter this week. We talked about identifying personality types. She said good leaders are adept at putting people with different personality types together and matching skill sets on projects to ensure the best outcomes. The training is going to be great!

Unfortunately, parents don't always get to do that. Our team, Paul and me, was made up of two functional persons and zero artsy people. Looking back, I wish I'd spend more time enjoying warm blankets - instead of rushing them off to the make up the beds. Nevertheless, we managed! We are even invited to visit the offspring out of state.

But we are who we are - I didn't fall too far from my mother's tree. I've blogged about her sometimes brusk style that that seemed harsh at the time, but made me who I am today. We can control our actions. I try to make a conscious effort to find ways to blanket our family from afar. Just don't put me in charge of decorating with fancy stuff. ;>)

No comments: