Saturday, April 30, 2016

Treats From My Youth

I saw an advertisement on Facebook for an ice cream cake roll and my "Wayback Machine" clicked on.
The cakes I remember weren't as pretty as the one above. Back in the olden days we could buy them in the store - smashed into a box, and the cake was kinda stale. Still, I loved it. Along with all the delightful treats people would bring to school for their birthdays.

Remember those little ice cream cups with the wooden paddles? And there were ones with chocolate swirled in too. Yum! Some moms delivered cupcakes - I liked those better than the fancy cupcakes you can buy in stores today.

Back at home, we were lucky to have access to lots of sweet stuff. We used to make this stuff called "Shake A Pudding".
Mom made the cooked pudding too. It would get a nice layer on top. I loved chocolate! What about Tang(the drink of astronauts) and Nestle's Quik? (the drink of some rabbit). That was good to eat with Twinkies.  

What about Carnation Instant Breakfast? We'd get the variety pack and the good flavors would go fast. (I confess I'd eat breakfast along with slurping down the drink - a powder that you'd mix with 2% milk delivered by the friendly milkman). Eventually Pop Tarts were invented - and then they decided to frost them. Brown sugar cinnamon were my favorite but later they invented - you guessed it - chocolate!

I still love all those things. It's a good thing I keep myself from buying that stuff. And some of those things aren't even made anymore. Self control. Why can't lettuce and vegetables taste like Shake-A-Pudding?


 



 

No comments: